Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Sunday Afternoon WIP - Dark Elves: Witch Elves

WIP - Dark Elves: Witch Elves for the Cauldron of Blood
2K primed Witch Elves
A day off, a delicious asparagus menu and a painting afternoon with a friend, what a wonderful and quite ending of a long weekend. And since I really managed to paint something I can show you some WIP shots of my Witch Elves for my Cauldron of Blood.

First I did a two component priming for a better definition of the lighting of the miniatures. You don't believe how tricky this is when it is a stormy weather like today. But after seeing of some pictures from Mr. Lee I know now that I can achieve this with my airbrush too. Therefore as soon as my aerosol cans are empty I will buy me a black primer from Vallejo since I am really pleased with their primers.

Test with Facettenlack for Lava Bases
I waited then for my friend to arrive and did some tests with Facettenlack (crackle medium) for making a lavabase for my Hellcannon. Not bad for a quick test I think...




WIP - Dark Elves: Witch Elves for the Cauldron of Blood
Witch Elves in base color
We then had a really good time with lots of coffee and cookies :) He painted an empire lector for his war altar and I painting my witch elves. I again learned that I can't paint skin and that my camera pixelates my pictures more than they really are :(
But one good thing is that I used my DaVinci brushes for the first time. A complete different painting with the long bristles. I have to learn the flow of the color because they contain more moisture and can work thinner colors.
After painting the skin and the hair and giving the rest a base color we called it a day and planned our next battle. If everything this will be in two weeks, so expect some pictures and at least a short battle report.


So long,
Paradox0n

P.S.: If someone has a good tip for painting skin I would be happy :)

P.P.S.: Again after uploading the pictures where color corrected by Google. WTF?!  And sorry for the republish, my pre-produced articles went havoc and did publish themself and mess everything up :(


5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Only if you look from at least 30cm distance :D But thanks for your nice comment.

      Delete
  2. There's a recipe I love for painting skin on units. Maybe it can help :

    - a base skintone (whatever you want, keep it the closest you can to the final colour you want)(I like to use Kommando kakhi or whatever its equivalent now)
    - take a dark version (betsial brown or any equivalent) : use one drop of it with one drop of pva glue and 8 to 10 drops of water (that's the ratio, just make more for big units), the mix should feel like citadel washes but more fluid.
    - cover all surfaces with the mix, it will go in the deep areas but should blend nicely unlike inks
    - light all the upper parts (for a pseudo zenithal approach) with the diluted base colour
    - apply thin lightings with a very diluted version (I like to use bleached bone or any equivalent here) on edges

    TADAAAA, it's no golden daemon winner technique here but an efficient one to nail rapidly lots of minis in no time.

    You can use the mix after a dark base colour with a zenithal spray of the clear version of your base colour. (killer technique taught to me by army painters)

    Hopes this helps !

    ps : Yep Google likes to get on our nerves with post crashes and pictures alteration...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Interesting idea, thanks for posting. Whats the PVA glue for in this mix?

      And: Welcome aboard :)

      Delete
    2. it links the pigments and acts like a tensioactive (it makes pigments go in the holes), on the opposite, soap would do the exact opposite (Since I'm no pro, I'm not used to other more serious adjuvents.
      I find it helps a lot especially with metal.
      I drybruch my metals with tinbitz then boltgun and then had a mixture of one drop of blackink and one drop of brown ink with a drop pf PVA and 8-10 drops of water.
      It kills the shiny aspect of inks and when dry you have very deep metals you just have to highlight easily... (and its waaayyyy cheaper than citadel washes)

      I shall do a titorial to prove my point some day.

      Thanks

      Delete

If you liked this article, please leave a comment. If you even want to support this blog, deactive your adblocker and click on one of the banners. Everything will be refunded for new reviews or tutorials. Thanks!

Related Posts