Friday, July 18, 2014

[Update] Man the trenches! Fighting the spam wave

Most of you will not have seen the change but nonetheless I will give you a short update and explanation why I changed my blog comments and added the captcha although I am not a friend of this.

In the last weeks where I have been absent from the blogosphere some spambots seem to have taken over my blog and bombard me with one spam mail after the other. At the moment the number it is somewhere around 30-40 a day. Luckily blogger filters 99% of them out so that they don't get published on the blog itself. But nonetheless a notification mail is send to me about that.

So please let me get away with this breaking of rules until I have found a better solution.

[Update] Since so many of you commented here, and gave me the tip to switch to disallow unregistered comments, I thought about that and decided to give it a try. So please my fellow anonymous users who really want to comment use some kind of OpenID or just drop me an email.
Captchas are therefore off again.

So long,
Paradox0n

7 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew, I know that would solve the problem. But I had some not registered comments in the past and I don't know if I want to make that step....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put my blog onto comment Moderation Ages back for the same reason. Not only was there spam but some pretty nasty comments being left, particually on older less visited posts, which took me two days to search out and remove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily blogger helps here (or I just don't have enough comments yet). Most of the spam doesn't come through so that wasn't my problem so far. It came only up recently.
      But I hope I never run into a situation like yours *keep fingers crossed*

      Delete
  3. I had the same problem and disallowed anonymous comments. That was due to a particularly vicious troll and not to spam though. I can understand why you won't go anon as you've got people who honestly read your blog and comments that way.

    We'll deal with the CAPTCHA, no worries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne, thanks for the nice comment :)
      I personally don't like them, because I know how they work technically. And they are just not secure, just an annoyance because good spambots can solve those.
      Maybe switching to registered commenting is the only valid way.

      Delete
  4. Its fine! I have no problem making the effort to comment since you made the effort to write ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. More than happy to enter a few letters or numbers if it makes life easier for you.

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this article, please leave a comment. If you even want to support this blog, deactive your adblocker and click on one of the banners. Everything will be refunded for new reviews or tutorials. Thanks!

Related Posts